Friday, December 10

Crafty Chica: Mr. Chihuahua's Zarape Coffee Cozy


I feel like all my vices favorite things in life start with the letter C - crafts, chocolate, cupcakes, Chihuahuas, coffee...Okay, let's go with the last two for this project.

I drink hot coffee all day and every time I pick up a cardboard sleeve, all I can think about is making my own. So, we live in the southwest, where zarapes are plentiful in the winter. Bingo! There was my idea!

When my family wasn't looking, I snuck in the family room where we always have one handy for cuddling on the couch, and I snipped it up to make my cozy. Don't you think it was worth it? Look how cute it came out! Here is what you need to make one:

- zarape
- pinking shears
- cardboard coffee sleeve
- chalk
- Crafty Chica® Iron-On Chihuahua Applique™ 
- Sequin or pom pom trim
- Velcro strips

 1. Pick up a cardboard sleeve and open it. This will be your template. Fold the zarape in half so it is doubled and then set the open sleeve on top. Use chalk to trace around it. Use pinking shears to cut.


 2. Decide how you want to sew it. For mine, I double zigzagged around the edges, but first I inserted the sequin trim between the layers. Zarapes are woven, so the fabric will stretch a bit.
 Smooth it out nice and flat. Note: I really wanted pompom fringe, but - gasp! - didn't have any on hand...
 3. Get a handy Crafty Chica® Iron-On Chihuahua Applique™ (Free shipping through Monday!) and iron it on the front in the center. Add Velcro to the flaps so you can secure it snugly around your cup.

 4. Here is Maya already using the cozy with her hot chocolate! The good thing is you can make a hecka lotta cozies out of one zarape and give them as gifts or sell them. You can keep one handy in your purse or car for traveling, one at your work desk, another at home!

Here are some other fun Crafty Chica Appliques!



FREE SHIPPING through December 13, 2010. Craft on! Click here for today's daily giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close