Friday, January 13

The 'Put a Bird on It' Brooch - An Ode to Portlandia




If you are looking for some stellar television to add to your list of much watch shows, might I suggest Portlandia. I was skeptical with a dude from Saturday Night Live and a chick from Sleater Kinney - and then I watched it - and then I fell in love. I have always heard that Austin and Portland are sister cities and after watching the skits on this show I believe it. One of my fave segments was entitled "Put a Bird on It". As we all know good craft trends die hard and this feathered favorite appears to be here to stay. In celebration on Portlandia's second season starting I am making my ode' to the show. The 'Put a Bird on It' brooch.


SUPPLIES
Wooden Disc
Scissors
Aleene's Liquid Fusion Glue
Collage Pauge
Forest Picture
Hot Glue Gun
Collage Pauge Decoupage Medium
Faux Bird
Faux Eggs
Embroidery Thread
Aleene's Fabric Stiffener and Draping Liquid
Vasaline
Small Bowl
Pin Back
Ribbon


This whole idea came to because I started thinking about making a nest out of embroidery thread. I used a small plastic bowl and lubed that sucker up with petroleum jelly to act as a release. Next I cut long strands of brown embroidery thread. One by one I began dipping the thread in fabric stiffener and wrapping it around my bowl. Once you have it looking like a nest leave it to dry.


While your nest is drying you can work on the backdrop. I used a small wooden disc. I found an image from a vintage book of a forest that I cut out and decoupaged onto the wood.


Next I cut my nest in half. At this point I was not sure if I was going to go with shoe clips or brooch. I only had one bird so brooch won. I'll save the other half of the nest for another project.


Using a combination of Liquid Fusion Glue and a Hot Glue Gun I attached the half nest to my collaged backdrop. Once the nest was in place using Liquid Fusion I put my bird and her eggs in the nest. I also added a ribbon around the edge to cover up some messy glue spots. Last but not least, I glued a pin back to the wood.



I am totally smitten on the way everything turned out. Portlandia was right everything looks better when you put a bird on it.

I leave you with the video clip that inspired it all - Put a Bird on It!


Visit us on Facebook!
Craft on!

1 comment:

Simply Jessabells said...

When I saw that episode I was cracking up!! lol.

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close