Many, many months ago my mother-in-law bought me some Toms. I was so excited and I wore them a whole lot. I wore them enough to get a hole in the front of them.
So I gathered some supplies to fix the problem. I happened to have some coordinating fabric in my scrap bin. I pulled out Aleene's Fabric Fusion Peel and Stick Sheets, which were PERFECT for this project.
Here's what they look like now.....
Here's how it went down. I love dry adhesives because there is NO mess. There's no wet glue seeping through the fabric. It's simple and clean. There are several sheets in the pack. They come with the adhesive sandwiched between two pieces of white paper.
I peeled one side off and applied it to the shoe, lining it up with the long seam across the top of the shoe.
Then I smoothed it over the front middle and then along the sides. Naturally, you'll need to pleat it where the pleats are in the shoes. Then just trim the paper to match the shoe.
The sheet didn't cover the entire front, to I added a few more pieces until the whole front area was covered.
Once you've got the paper everywhere you can smooth it over the shoe to get the adhesive to adhere and the just peel off the paper. Now it looks like this.
Then applied the fabric the exact same way. You could apply a little fray check around the bottom, but if you got the adhesive all the way to the bottom I don't think you'll have to worry much about fraying. It's stuck on quite well.
I added a little extra adhesive inside the pleats to get them to stay flat.
I smoothed the fabric over to get it really stuck on there - especially at the bottom. I didn't like the raw edge of the fabric across the top of the shoe so I decided to add a little bit of lace. I used the dry adhesive again, cutting it into thin lines and then I laid the lace over it.
And BAM. They're done. No waiting until they are dry because they already are!
And it's kind of fun to have a pair that's totally unique.
Visit us on Facebook!