Everyone around the office has been talking about Marvel's The Avengers this week and we just knew that there had to be a fun craft in there for us to in honor of the movie! We put our thinking caps on and thought that a tie dye shirt in Captain America style was in order! This project was designed by in-house designer Lauri Eaton and she did an amazing job! We think Captain America fans out there would want to get this tie dye look for themselves! In fact, a lot of guys in the office wanted one after seeing what we made! Here's how you make one for yourself!
Captain America Tie Dye Avengers Shirt
– Tulip One-Step Tie Dye in Red and Blue
– Tulip Fabric Spray Paint in Snow White
– White cotton shirt (or use 50/50 blend for a more faded/vintage look)
– Freezer paper
– Scissors or X-acto
– Pencil or star printout
How you do it:
2. Apply zip ties as shown and secure tightly. Zip ties work best for this because they grab the material really tightly, oftentimes better than rubber bands! Lauri used pliers to tighten these, so make sure to pull them REALLY tight! Otherwise, the colors might bleed through.
3. Rinse shirt in water and wring out. The water helps the tie dye set!
4. Apply tie dye in between each of the binded areas. You will want to saturate each section and not leave any white.
5. Once finished dyeing wrap in plastic surface cover. Freeze for 70 years! Just joking. Let it set for 6-8 hours.
6. Now run your shirt under the water in the sink until all the dye is out. The dye is out when the water runs clear! Cut off zip ties and place by itself in the washer and set to large load. Put it on the hottest water suitable for fabric and use a little laundry detergent. Dry in dryer or line dry.
7. Next measure the middle bullseye area of the shirt. Print out or hand draw a star to this size on your freezer paper. Cut out star and center it in the middle of the shirt. Use a hot iron to press the design onto the shirt.
8. Use fabric spray paint to spray inside stencil. The spray paint will give the star a more distressed look. You can also use Tulip Soft Fabric Paint to stencil on the design as well! Use a hair dryer to speed up drying time.
9. Once dry, peel off stencil to reveal star!
And here's the finished product! Looks amazing, right??
Now go out there and unleash your inner superhero! Take on the world with a vengeance, Avengers style!