Thursday, May 23

Tie-Dye Hula Skirt Tutorial

Nothing says sumer quite like tie-dye. The bright colors, the cheery abstract designs and the ease of dying all make summer fashion fun. Always looking to set my tots apart from the rest of the playground I decided to make them Hawaiian themed tie-dye outfits. This will be a 3 part series that includes a hula skirt, tank top and onesie with leigh. First up, the hula skirt!
SUPPLIES

Old T-shirts or tank tops

Tulip One Step Tie-Dye Kits

Scissors

Sewing Machine
Let me start by saying: this was my first attempt at tie-dye. I have to say it was so stinkin' easy my 4 year old helped. We are talking wrap cloth with rubber bands, squirt with dye, go to bed, wake up and rinse, dry and wear easy. I'm totally a tie-dye convert. When selecting your material to dye, think natural. I went with some old undershirt tank tops of mine that were headed for the rag pile.
The Tulp One step Tie-Dye Kit comes with super easy to follow instructions that walk you through achieving various tie-dye patterns. I was using 3 tank tops for my shirt so I went with a braid. I used the rubber bands included in the kit to hold everything together.
Next I put my braided shirts into the sink. The kit comes with quirt bottles that all you have to do is add water. I used two kits. One had lime green and the other had blue and yellow which I combined to make another shade of green. Coat your braid making sure to A) get into the folds and B) Not over saturate. I wanted contrast so that the material would look like grass for my grass skirt.
The dye needs to sit on your material for 6-8 hours so I went to bed and let everything work it's magic. In the morning I cut my rubber bands off and popped my tanks in the washing machine. Now I just needed them to be dry so I (or my mother rather) could start sewing.
This skirt was inspired by a post I saw on Make It and Love It. Ashley made an ombre style skirt using different red shirts. I saw the fun her daughter was having twisting and turning and I knew Tallulah needed to hula. Check out her site to learn how to make your skirt. Be sure to catch the next 2 installments where I'll walk you through making a matching tie-dye halter top and a tie-dye onesie complete with leigh for little brother.

10 comments:

Margot Potter said...

This is super duper cute Ms. Perkins! Love it!

Unknown said...

This turned out so cute!! Oh, wait. I made it. Of course it was cute....but you came up with the idea and did the tie dying. The die dye product is genius.

Ginny Bennett said...

Is there a pattern for cutting and sewing the skirt?

pinoy said...

this is a beautiful information that you have shared with us , thanks ! :)

pinoy said...

I am happy with your article, Fajartoto think your website is pretty good. Many articles are very useful for everyone. I am sure your website will grow in the future. Fajartoto will always support your website, hopefully more advanced. keep the spirit... thanks

leafcuremed said...

We have the best top quality medical marijuana for sale online. Visit our website at Https://leafcuremed.com to buy weed online. Top shelf medical marijuana.
We deliver all over USA and Canada and the rest of the world.

buy real weed online


buy marijuana online


hoverboardsonly said...

I have read the blog and i really like it.
The way you portrait the blog is outstanding like your work
Best Regards : Pinoy Tambayan

Edwin Huns said...

buy lsd liquids online
buy maeng da kratom capsules online

virx said...

Thanks for this wonderful information. I like this web blog so much.
สเปรย์ ป้องกันโควิด

akaradech eiei said...

vegus168 ทางเข้า

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close