Thursday, January 30

Vintage Valentine Plate Portraits

I have a soft spot for vintage crafts. Each time I see a pair of plates with a spiffy felted couple on top I’m tempted to buy them. Finally today, I broke down and made my own Valentine’s Day themed pair. A little different from the traditional pair with the lady in her veil and hat and the mister with his pipe.


Pair of old plates




The first thing I did was cut out my shapes from felt and burlap. I wanted to have everything done and placed before I busted out my glue. A tip is to take a picture with your cell phone before you disassemble to glue.
Using Aleene’s Tacky Tape I first applied my burlap faces. Burlap is loosely woven so I didn’t want to use a wet glue because it would come through. My plates are slightly oblong and amoeba shaped so I did each face a different direction on the plates.
Piece by piece using Aleene’s Tacky Glue I applied my felt detail pieces.
I added a few hearts for good measure to get me in the Valentine’s Day mood. I named the piece: “Hey Valentine, would you like toupee with me?” since it looks like the dude is sporting a hair piece.
Now I totally want to go through my library of vintage craft books and find something else to revamp and put a new spin on!

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...