Tuesday, December 16

Colorful Crystal Watch Band

header-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger

I have a jumbo thing for watches. They're functional so I can wear them any time and there is something comforting about the way they wrap around my wrist. So I thought a personalized, crystallized watch band would make an amazing gift. 


Unfortunately I've decided to gift myself with this one because I LOVE it! Oops!

 011-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger

For this project you will need:


000-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
Grab yourself a watch from just about anywhere. This one was less than $8 at Wal-Mart and, most importantly, had a multi-colored face I was looking for. Why?

002-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
Because I thought up this whole project just because one of my divided by color crystal sets went crazy on me. I didn't put the lid on tightly enough and then next time I went in there I had this. Every color under the sun all mixed up.

003-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
Before you begin you'll need to have an idea of where to end the crystals so that the buckle will still work. I used a gel marker to mark around the edge of the side with the holes.

001-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
I have found that whenever I don't have to use an adhesive, that's the way I generally prefer to go with my heat set crystals. As such, for the majority of this watch I used the heat setter to attach them to the band.

007-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
If you're going for a uniform look, work out your pattern before you begin by laying the crystals along the band. If you're going for a crazy look, ala Allison, then just get after it.

006-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
At first I had decided to keep the sides of the watch clear, but they looked so sad and lonely without any fancy friends... So I grabbed the glue and got after it. Now this was totally an afterthought. I used Fast Dry Tacky Glue which is fab, but I should have used something a bit more industrial strength.

005-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
Gently bend the watch into the round shape achieved when worn on the wrist.The glue will make some sounds and crackle a bit but the crystals should remain firmly in place.

004-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
To be honest, I went right up to the point where the buckle came together and that was a bit too tight of a fit to properly work the buckle (which is why I am wearing it on a further out hole than is normally comfortable for me. Measure out and mark like I showed you, but give some leeway around those marks to make sure the buckle is still easy to use.

009-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
Look at that!? Isn't it crazy awesome. I mean crazy in the sense that it is so colorful and most people would prefer a monotone crystal, but for me, it's just perfect!

011-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
The watch face is large, but when you look at the watch from the side, you can really, really see all of my awesome crystal action.

010-crystal-watch-band-dreamalittlebigger
And with the colorful face, everything just fits perfectly! If you love mine then I hope you'll make your own. And tell me, what color would your crystal watch be?

If you loved this post, please visit me at my blog Dream a Little Bigger for more DIY and crafts!

5 comments:

WobiSobi said...

Beautiful and a fabulous idea!!!

coffeelizard said...

Thank you for sharing a fun idea! Great job on the tutorial .

trend-mixblog.com said...

This came out so nicely, I love it! :)
http://trend-mixblog.com/

Joanne Goranson said...

Love this idea. I am a watch nut and am always buying watches and changing the bands to make them unique. As an Art Quilter I am always trying new techniques and sometimes they work on my watch bands. I just bought a watch with a cat face on it but the band is just plain white. I will use the crystals to try to put paws on the band. Thanks for the post!

Watch Band Girl said...

Beautiful and a wonderful idea!!!NATO Band

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close