Thursday, August 4

DIY Toddler Rubbing Plates



Since it has been too hot to go outside most days this summer my toddler and I have been making a lot of crafts. Just this week we have painted shells, made a dolphin mask, decorated doughnuts and done a slew or paint with water pictures. On a recent internet search for some new and exciting crafty fun I stumbled upon rubbing plates. Remember Fashion Plates from when we were kids? These are kind of the same thing except for much younger kids. Rubbing Plates are pieces of hard plastic with raised images that you run your crayon over. I started to buy Tallulah a new set for $12, but then had a thought about trying to make my own. With just a handful of supplies a new indoor summertime activity was created.


SUPPLIES
Placemat
Pen
Aleene’s Quick Dry Glue
Scissors
Crayon
Paper


The first thing I did was to cut my placemat into 4 small squares. I used a board book as my size guide.


If you are a great artist you could free hand an image onto your place mat squares, but alas I am not. I traced some very basic images from a vintage coloring book.


The next step is to go over your image with glue. I opted for Aleene’s Quick Dry. I also did two coats to make sure my image was nice and raised. This will be important for the rubbing part.


Allow your glue to dry completely.



Using your new rubbing plates is the fun part. Lay your plate on a flat surface. Cover your plate with a sheet of paper. Using a crayon with the paper removed, rub. Presto! Your image appears on the paper and your toddler is entertained in the air conditioning!


Check out more fun kids projects here. More I Love to Create projects right here.


Visit us on Facebook!
Craft on! Click here for today's daily giveaway!

1 comment:

Khristen said...

What a great use of Aleene's! I already make my own glue dots, but this is so cool! I see also having my son design his own rubbing plates (outside of course) to make his own art. I'm going to have to share this link on my blog/facebook. Awesome, thanks for sharing this project :)

xx

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close