Tuesday, June 12

Fabric Covered Books

I've noticed recently that a lot of the home decor stores use books to decorate.  They are stacked and sometimes tied with hemp.  They are placed on shelves or coffee tables.  Well I only own ugly books.  Well, most of them are ugly.  So today we're making books worthy of decorating a home.


I went through some of the books in our home.  This puppy was screaming for a makeover.


This project is a great way to use up scrap fabric. I got out a stack of books, my scrap fabric, and Aleene's Fabric Fusion.  This adhesive works really well with this project, as hot glue can't be spread thin.


I cut a piece of fabric a little bigger than the book when opened.  I brushed on a coat of fabric fusion on the top and along the spine.  Then I folded the fabric onto it, flipped the book and did the other side.


I opened the book and trimmed the fabric inward as shown by the spine.


Then I brushed the edges of the fabric and book and folded them in.


I folded the corners like a present, pinching the corner...


....and then gluing it flat.  You could glue in a piece of paper to cover the fabric inside, but since I wasn't going to be opening the book that often I just left it.


I also glued the little edge near the spine.


Doesn't that look better?


Make them in all sorts of colors to add a pop of color to a room.  Tie them up with a string or a belt.  


Use them as decor.  Mix and match them with other books.



Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close