Wednesday, October 20
31 Days of DIY Halloween - Spooky Ghost Vases
Scary-cute! That’s was I said when I saw these ghost vases. And they can be as scary or as fun as you want them to be, because YOU get to paint their faces. With a flick of the paint-brush, you could turn their scary faces into funny faces. I’m seeing sticks of cotton candy sticking poked into these vases, or maybe black licorice sticks. Yummmmmm……
– Home Decor Bisque Designs
21779 Slender Free Form Vase 4.5" x 4.75" x 4.5"
21780 Medium Free Form Vase 3.25" x 4" x 8"
– Duncan Concepts® Underglazes for Bisque and Majolica
CN 021 Light Saffron
CN 141 Light Aqua
CN 201 Light Grey
CN 244 Really White
CN 253 Dark Black
– Signature Brushes
SB 802 No. 1 Liner
SB 807 No. 6 Fan Glaze
SB 808 No. 4 Round
SB 812 No. 10 Round
– French Dimensions™
FD 254 Black Licorice
– pure•brilliance® Clear Glaze
– Graphite paper
– Water container
– Replacement sponge
– Clean, plastic margarine-sized container
– Patterns (click here for patterns)
1. Wipe vase with damp sponge to remove any dust and/or particles.
2. Place graphite paper over the pattern on regular paper, then place graphite side down and onto vase. Trace over the eyes and mouth pattern using a pencil. The graphite should transfer onto bowl in the shape of the ghost face pattern.
3. Using the No. 10 Round Brush, brush three coats of Really White glaze over entire vase, excluding eyes and mouth. Allow time to dry between each application.
4. Using the No. 10 Round Brush, brush two light coats of the Light Aqua glaze onto the inside part of the vase stem, feathering upward toward the top. Allow time to dry between each application.
5, Using the No. 10 Round Brush, brush two light coats of the Light Aqua glaze at the very top of the outside portion of the vase stem, feathering upward onto the “folds” (top portion of the vase). On slender vase, brush Light Aqua glaze onto lower portion of vase where stem and base meet. Allow time to dry between each application.
6. Use the Liner Brush to apply Light Aqua glaze accents under eyes and mouth.
7. Brush one coat of Light Grey glaze over all Light Aqua areas on vase, blending outward.
8. Using the No. 4 Round Brush, brush three coats of Light Saffron glaze to pupil portion of eye area. Allow time for drying between each application.
9. Using the No. 4 Round Brush, brush three coats of Black glaze to remaining eye area, allowing time to dry between each application.
10. Using the same process described in Step 2, transfer hand pattern to vase.
11. Use French Dimension Black Licorice to outline eyes, mouth and hands.
12. Pour necessary amount of Pure Brilliance Clear Glaze inside of vase and rotate to cover entire inside. Pour excess glaze into empty container.
13. Sponge a thin coating of Pure Brilliance Clear Glaze onto entire outside of vase, including face portion, and let dry. Using Fan Glaze Brush, apply a second coating of Pure Brilliance Clear Glaze over entire vase and let dry.
14. Stilt and fire to shelf cone 06.
Craft on! Click here for today's daily giveaway!