Friday, May 6

Crafty Chica's Talavera-inspired Painted Mug Set

It's Cinco de Mayo week, but that doesn't mean I'm into the stereotypical tequila shots. Instead, I decided to celebrate a traditional art form from the state of Puebla, Mexico (where the Battle of Puebla took place) - Talavera pottery! Known for the cobalt blue painted accents, it usually has a color story of deep reds, earthy greens and oranges. Here are directions for my "crafty chica" version so you can visit your local paint-on-pottery store and make your own!

 I started with Duncan bisque and a pencil. I also printed out some Talavera images for inspiration and guidance. Basically, it is a lot of swirls and flowers. And then I simplified because it was my first time!

 Once I finished sketching on the bisque, I filled in with Duncan® Concepts® Underglazes for Bisque and Majolica. First I filled in the inside spaces and then added the background color - and then I went over all the edges for a refined look. I added some lighter shades on top of darker shades for definition. I trimmed the ridges in blue, keeping with tradition. The last step is to outline all the designs with a VERY thin liner brush with black.

 Let it dry and then dip or brush on pure•brilliance™ Clear Glaze on both sides. Let dry.

 Fire in the kiln, cone 6.

 Here is my finished piece, I signed the bottom because I had faith it would come out just the way I wanted and I wanted proof that I made it!

Here is the saucer. I used an orange background, I was hoping for more of a tan-orange, but I still like it!

  I painted the inside of the mug Really Red.

 Close up of one of the designs.

 Happy me with my new mug! I'm inspired to paint a whole dinner set now! I hope you are too!
Visit us on Facebook!
Craft on! Click here for today's daily giveaway!


chuy said...

does this company carry these items as ready to paint for those of us who don't have kilns or access to one?? I love a lot of the pieces I've seen here but not having a kiln, I can't purchase

Yolanda M. said...

These are beautiful!

sf said...

WOW - I am in love with these and may try one day myself!

sarah said...

just love talavwra pottery!

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...