Tuesday, September 25

altered driftwood

IMG_0748 copy
In my opinion anything can be transformed into art. I have been painting and altering driftwood for years and when I moved back to the Oregon Coast (where there is more driftwood than you ever could imagine!) I started collecting and altering my findings with the goal of building up a collection that I could turn into art and display in my new studio/classroom space. 

IMG_0716
I started by collecting lots of driftwood- if you don't have driftwood available sticks or twigs will work just fine.

r
I then used scraps of hand painted fabric and wrapped the scraps around the wood, applying Tacky Glue to the surface as I wrapped.

IMG_0726
Untitled-1
I wrapped colorful embroidery floss around the surface to create a stripe of color- gluing the floss as I wrapped.

IMG_0733
The result is a colorful and fun altered piece of driftwood.


h-1

IMG_0715 copy
I then created wood wrapped with yarn and embroidery floss.


Picture 7

Untitled-1
I even created a variety of painted driftwood by first painting stripes and then adding embellishments with Scribbles 3-D Paint (MY FAVORITE SUPPLY!)


IMG_0094 copy
At this point you are probably saying to yourself- those are pretty but what the heck are you supposed to do with a whole bunch of altered wood?!?! Well, my vision all along was to fill all kinds of large glass jars with my artful driftwood and display them around my studio. I used large jars (3-4 foot) and filled them up and placed them around the room. I like to think of them as a unique nature inspired art piece.



IMG_1013
I also created a few small mobiles to hang above my work space and in Lucy's room.


big art stick
I have been so obsessed with altering driftwood that I started collecting LARGE pieces and decorating the surface with the same techniques and using them as art around my space.

IMG_1002
With just a few supplies, something simple is suddenly transformed into art! 


5279578786_fd00da7ede_o

7 comments:

JoJo said...

i love it!!! I need to start looking for more when I go to the beach, but I'm always so keyed in for beach glass!

An_Geli_Ka said...

Wow...i lof this !!

Michelle said...

I have been wanting to do this for awhile now and your beautiful photos have inspired me to get a move on!

Just FYI....blogger does a great job filtering spam out! So feel free to dump the word verification.

Anonymous said...

simple beautiful and low maintenance

Unknown said...

مارینه یونانی لذیذ همراه با خواص آن
حذف درخت داخل منزل به روش قانونی
منوچهر آتشی شاعر و نویسنده ایرانی

ghada said...


شركة تنظيف سجاد بمكة
شركة تنظيف مساجد بمكة
شركة تنظيف وصيانة مسابح بمكة
شركة تنظيف الاثاث بمكة
شركة تنظيف ستائر بمكة
شركة جلي بلاط بمكة

chris said...

hi Alisa, please can you possibly contact me, i have a huge project that requires these and could use your help. I'm Christina. lotusheaven@gmail.com

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close