Tuesday, April 2

Super Simple Star Wars Tees

My boys have recently really gotten into Star Wars and they were begging to make some of their own Star Wars tees.  Here's what we came up with.  They were pretty quick and easy to make.


I googled to find an image that would work for each shirt.


For the Darth Vader tee I cut out his silhouette on freezer paper and ironed it onto the shirt.  (If you are new to freezer paper stenciling you can find a video tutorial HERE.)  I painted Vader with my Tulip soft fabric paint.


After Vader was dry it was time to give him a light saber.  The new Tulip Holographic Transfer sheets are actually what inspired these tees in the first place.  When I saw them they just screamed, "Light sabers!" to me.  All you do is cut out the sword, place it where you want it on the shirt, lay a thin piece of fabric over it and iron it for 40 seconds.  Then you're set.


We've already washed the tees a couple of times and the swords are holding strong.  They've been a hit.


For the Yoda tee I cut out his silhouette and then used the silver Tulip spray paint to spray around the edges of Yoda.


It didn't take much.  After it dried we peeled off the paper and added a green light saber.


My little man was quite pleased with his Yoda tee.



And there you have it.  Two quick, easy tees for the Star Wars love in your life.


May the force be with you.

23 comments:

@lliE from FreshlyCompleted said...

What a GREAT idea.

Toni Randal said...

star wars tees!!! I love them both... and the kids! they're just so loveable... ^_^

Kimmy said...

Oh wow, I love this!!!!

Night Garden Design said...

Nice work, Cheri!

TheVirginiaHouse said...

You are awesome! My boys would love to have these. Great idea as always!

Tys said...

Fantastic! My boys would flip for these. I've been gawking at your boy shirt creations for years now... but I don't know if I can do it. You make it look so easy... I fear if I tried it'd end up as a "pinterest fail" or something... lol ;)

Tiffany said...

Seriously stinking cute!

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

UBee said...

This is truly AWESOME! I can not wait to make these!!!

Hannah said...

so cute. These will be perfect for my son especially since he is having a star wars birthday party coming up. Thanks

Hannah said...

fyi - I first tried just the freezer paper shirts last year and they are pretty simple, just cut out the shape, iron it on and paint. You can do it :)

homemade by jill said...

Those are awesome! I especially like the yoda version.

Trine (groovy baby) said...

They are fantastic!!!

Bonnie in SC said...

Love how these turned out. Wherever did you find the small metallic spray paint?

Anonymous said...

Just found the metallic spray paint at Michaels - I had to ask for it, and they said it was a new product for them. They didn't have the holographic transfer paper, but I'm ordering that from Amazon.

Beth said...

I'm not a big Star Wars person... but is Yoda flicking us off or is that just the shape of his hand??

Sophie said...

this is so clever!

Mina said...

Thank you for the inspiration. I tried my own version of your design. It was a gift for a very special (and Star-Wars fan) friend. You can find it here:

http://xlavidasinprisas.blogspot.com/2013/07/camisetas-molonas.html

Regards from Spain

WobiSobi said...

These are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I'm so going to have to try these! My son is all of a sudden LOVING star wars!

Anonymous said...

Just found this from a Pinterest link. One of my favorite DIY shirts I have ever seen! Can't wait to try this!

Unknown said...

Hello.... This is such a great idea... I am in desperate need..PLEASE Help...Where did you find the yoda silhouette... We are doing our 100 days of school shirts and this is the best I've seen... :)

Skribbl io said...

It is amazing and interesting at the same time. Reading your essay is really fascinating.

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close