Tuesday, February 4

Valentine Polka Dot Oxfords


I love making shoes specifically for an occasion. I, of course, totally wear them other times, too but a pair of shoes sitting in wait for Valentine's Day... I think that's just too much fun! Last year I knocked out some super cute tennies, but this year I decided to go a bit dressier with oxfords!

For this project you will need:
white oxfords (I got mine on Ebay for about $11 from eyesonstyle)
Ribbon
Tape
Cotton swaps
Take your paint and brush it on to the middle area that goes around the top of the shoe. But leave the area where the laces go white. 
Now I used dimensional paint but that is only because I thought I had  soft fabric paint and didn't.  I'd definitely recommend the soft fabric paint for better coverage. I used the full bottle of dimensional paint to get good coverage on the shoes.
Keep cotton swaps and water on hand to help with clean up from accidents.
Paint fresh coats on top of dried ones until the color is solid.
Now take a fresh cotton swab and dip it into your white paint and daub a polka dot pattern on one side of one shoe.
Alternatively, you can make one line and then make the lines above and below for a fairly consistent pattern.

Use one shoe as reference for the other, completing the outsides and then the insides alternating shoes for dry time.
Now these shoes were technically laceless with elastic inside to keep them on but I really had my heart set on ribbon laces. So I cut out the elastic and got after it.

Cut 30 inches of ribbon and cover the ends with tape so that they will lace through the eyelets.
Lace your shoes and trim off the tape. Apply tacky glue to the ends and give a moment to dry. Cut a nice, smooth end with your scissors.
Bam! Aren't they super duper cute? I've already done my dance around the house in them and I fell so fancy and lovey dovey in them :)
Because I used both paint and ribbon I already had on hand, these cuties cost me less than $12. That's a steal for my date night shoes, don't you think?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this post! If you dig this shoe makeover, I'd love to encourage you to visit my blog Dream a Little Bigger where I have over a ton of shoe makeovers just waiting for you!
Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close