Tuesday, September 7

Boy Backpack


Hey it's me - Cheri from I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar.  Today I'm going to show you how I made this snazzy little backpack for my nephew.  He loves anything that moves - cars, planes, trucks - you name it.


I got this plain backpack on clearance for $6. I wanted to personalize it for him, so I found some images online I liked and printed them off.


If you'd like to use them you can save this jpeg below.

I created a freezer paper stencil for each of the images, ironed them down, and then painted them using Tulip slick paints and Tulip soft paints.  If you haven't tried freezer paper stenciling yet, you must.  It's really fun.  (Click HERE for my video tutorial.)


After removing the stencil I sewed each square onto the back pack with embroidery floss.  (Here's a tip.  Since the patches shift a bit while trying to sew them down you can put a little bit of Aleene's Fabric Fusion under each one to lock it down where you want it and then sew them on.)


Now I hate to discard the inside of the stencil after I've taken the time to cut out the image.  So, I ironed down the leftover stencils to a scrap piece of fabric.


Then I used the Tulip fabric spray paint to spray the whole piece.  Make sure to wait until it's completely dry to remove the stencil.  (This is important since the wet fabric will leak into the stenciled area if you remove the stencil too soon.)


While haven't used this part yet I think they will make really cute patches to sew on other items.


My sister gave it the extra touch by stitching on his name.

Now he's got a one-of-a-kind back he loves and he's set for another year.

Craft on! Click here for today's daily giveaway!

5 comments:

Anne said...

Awesome!! I love the idea of making reverse stencils out of the insides of the images. Waste not, want not!

I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-backpack-applique-for-boys/2010/09/07/

--Anne

Dee said...

This is a very cool project, and very personal for the backpack user. However, whenever I see items crafted that kids will use that have the child's name on it, I cringe. We live in strange times, and by having the child's name on an item like a backpack, it gives strange people a tool they can use to "trick" a child into thinking this is someone who knows me or my family. I'm sorry if this sounds totally nutty, but please consider before adding your child's name to anything they will use in public and away from your supervision. Just sayin.

Mae Belle Creations and Musings said...

Dee...thank you thank you thank you... I saw this post from my twitter account with Craftgossip and my very first thought was to come here and make the exact same post you did about using the child's name on the outside of their clothing/backpack. Not to sound paranoid, but you just never know these days and it's better to be safe than sorry.

That being said..the project itself is very cute!

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea and good done!!!!
But I,m sorry, maybe because I'm italian and don't read very well English...but I didn't understand the passage from the image you chosen for the stencil you apply onto the T shirt. What's freezer paper? And why you iron it?

Unknown said...

شركة تنظيف بالرياض

شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض

شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض

شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض

شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض

شركة جلي بلاط بالرياض

شركة تنظيف بيوت بالرياض

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close