Thursday, November 8

Yarn Turkey Tutorial

Have you heard the news that I am the Editor in Chief of a new kids crafts magazine for Walmart called Kids Crafts 1-2-3? It's true. Race out to Walmart and snag issue #2 with oodles of fall crafts, including a turkey 'painted' with yarn by Becky Joiner. You can see Thomas on the cover!

I thought today for I Love to Create it might be fun to reinterpret Thomas. Handprints and turkey crafts go together like sweet taters and marshmallows.

SUPPLIES

Yarn in fall colors

Black Tulip Slicks Paint

Small Canvas

Paper

Felt

Aleene's Tacky Glue

Scissors

Pen

I decided to trace everyone's hands on paper first. Tracing squirmy, sick, cranky kids hands can be tricky.

After I had everyone's hands cut out I used a glue stick to adhere them to the canvas. I did Chris' hand first, then mine, then Tallulah and lastly Baxter. In retrospect I wish I had used coordinating construction paper for each hand. That way there would be no white showing behind the yarn. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Next using Tacky Glue I started filling in each hand with yarn. Chris was green, I am orange, Tallulah is red and Baxter is yellow. I also filled in the back with brown yarn.

In the issue of Kids Crafts 1-2-3 we supply the template for you to trace to make Thomas. I kinda eyeballed his face and cut him out in felt.

I applied my felt pieces with Tacky Glue and using Scribbles paint in black I added a few features to his beak and eyes.

I'm super smitten on how he turned out! I'd love to hear if you try making your own. Yarn art is kinda addicting I see a Santa portrait in my near future.

P.S. Check out another fun Thanksgiving handprint tutorial with this cardigan project. Oh and someone might like a set of these gardening gloves for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close