Thursday, September 24

DIY Silk Screening


I realize not everyone has a Yudu or the knowledge of how to make and burn their own screens. Never fear, if you were feeling a little left out of the screen printing fun I have just the project for you. Today for I Love to Create we are silk screening using pantyhose, decoupage and an embroidery hoop!


SUPPLIES
Tulip Soft Fabric Paint
Collage Pauge or Aleene’s Instant Decoupage Medium
Onesie or something to screen on
Embroidery hoop
Pen
Pantyhose
Paint brush
Business card


WHO DOESN’T LIKE UNICORNS?
First choose your image. Something in silhouette works best. Also I would not opt for a design that was too complicated. Make sure your design will fit inside the embroidery hoop you will be working with. I chose a perky little unicorn in all its magical glory.

PREPARE YOUR SCREEN
I retired my panty hose a long time ago when I quit my day job as a secretary. Luckily my friend Susann who was the mastermind behind this project brought over a lavender pair for me to work with. All you do is stretch the hose out in your embroidery hoop nice and taunt just like you would get a piece of cloth ready to embroider on.


TRANSFERING YOUR IMAGE
Lay your image down on a flat surface and place your embroidery hoop on top. Trace the outline of your image with a pen onto your panty hose.


BLOCKING OUT THE SCREEN
Using your decoupage and a paint brush fill in the area around your image. Be sure to apply the decoupage to the top of your screen and only put the decoupage where you do not want your paint to go. Allow the screen to dry completely.


GET YOUR SCREEN ON
I stretched my onesie over a piece of cardboard so that the fabric paint would not soak through to the back. Once I had done this I laid my screen top side down on my onesie and squirted out a generous helping of paint.


SCREENING YOUR IMAGE
Using a business card or old hotel key scrape the paint across the image in a firm manner while holding your embroidery hoop in place on your onesie. You do not want the image to shift or your baby will have an ugly outfit.


PLAY DRESS UP
Once the paint has dried on the onesie give it a 45 minute spin in a hot dryer to heat set the image and all that is left to do is get your baby dressed!

Have you tried the embroidery hoop method of screen printing? I am particularly curious if anyone has tried to screen a multi colored layered image? I wanna hear all about it!

Also remeber this is day 4 in a week long screen printing adventure. Flip back through Print Liberation, Screen Printed Record Bracelets and a YuDu Improved Record Clock. Don't forget our Handmade Nation round up and contest tomrrow!

18 comments:

Embellished Bayou said...

What a great project, I'm bookmarking this for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

Ashley said...

Such a great idea!

Heide said...

This looks like a great idea, I need to try this!!!

Hcurly said...

Thanks! I'm going to do this with my girl scout troop in a couple of weeks. We were going to just sponge paint their shirts, but this is WAY cooler! Thanks for sharing!

Ronda C. said...

Genius! I can't wait to try it.

jennifer said...

so can you use this screen over and over again?

sarah. said...

What a great idea. I've been wanting to play with screenprinting, but didn't want to spend the $$ on an official kit. Thanks for sharing~

Squeegees said...

Selecting a t-shirt from different brands which is suits your company logo would be a difficult job, so custom t-shirt is the best solution for those who want to have a seperate t-shirts with their company logo.

Anonymous said...

Јust submit yоur email at http:
//wwω.freeipad3.аllthebеstprоducts.
nеt and sіgn uр tо test Apple's products! You get to keep them afterwards!
My website: Atkins Diet: Why am I not losing? (Part 1) - not losing weight dieting

Silk Business cards said...

This is such a brilliant idea, maybe you can start taking orders for screen printing from friends and local businesses and once you gain experience you can do this
more often.

I'm in the printing business, If you want discounted rate on our top quality Silk Business cards or UV business cards let us know and we can give you a great deal. Its open to new and small business entrepreneurs.

Mimi said...

I love this! My 15 year old son wants shirts like his little brothers who are 3 and 1. But where would I find those shirts! lol Thank you :)

Caroline said...

This is an awesome idea! My boyfriend and I are going to be going to Disneyland next month and I would love to this for us! I am a little confused though; after tracing the image you open the embroidery hoop again to put in the shirt, then paint the decoupage in the areas that don't need paint? Or the decoupage is paint then the shirt is put in the hoop? Thanks!

Unknown said...

This post was very well written, and it also comprises a lot of useful facts. I enjoyed your differentiated way of composing the post for embroidery printing t shirts". Really your informative blog helpful for Custom Mens T-shirts

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks for the information.

Feel free to checkout my blog on various screen printing machine

Victoria Wingate said...

Thank you for your valuable information.Visit for More guidelines
screen printing machine

Unknown said...

It shares very nice and interesting information about on this topic.Thanks for sharing!! Golf apparel Calgary Alberta
Best embroidery Shop in Calgary Alberta


Luminous Printing said...

It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog.we provide.Your Source for Radiant Uniforms Luminous Printing.T Shirt Printing Singapore

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close