Thursday, January 14

Black Velvet Dolly Painting



Next Tuesday, January 19th, might just be another day for some of you - but for some of us it is a national holiday. January 19th is Dolly's 64th birthday. Maybe I'll watch The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and sing show tunes all day and annoy my husband. In the meantime I wanted to craft up something special to commemorate the big day. One of my favorite Dolly quotes is "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap". Nothing says cheap and tackaliscious like a black velvet painting so that is exactly what I am making today for I Love to Create.


SUPPLIES
Black Velvet
Tulip Fabric Paint
Frame
Tracing Paper
Glitter Chipboard Letters
Aleene's Fabric Fusion Glue
Paintbrushes
Tracing Paper (light and dark)
Pen
Scissors
Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Spray


GET YOUR DOLLY ON
The first thing you need to do is either draw a picture of Dolly onto your black velvet using tailor's chalk or in my case trace a picture with tracing paper. Artist Stefan Govasli was kind enough to let me use his illustration of Dolly.


PAINTING BLACK VELVET
Using Tulip Fabric Paint fill in the lines of your drawing just like a coloring book. Mix colors like pink, orange and white to make flesh color and experiment with yellow to shade the hair. I opted to fill in her entire face with peach paint. Allow to dry completely.


FACE PAINTING
Once her face has dried completely retrace her face using a pen and dark tracing paper. Fill in using Tulip Fabric Paint and allow to dry completely.


ATTACH TO CANVAS
Next I cut my velvet down to the size of my frame. Using Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Spray I coated the board and adhered my velvet painting. Make sure to get your picture as centered as possible.


SAY IT WITH GLITTER
Originally I thought I would cover some chipboard letters in Tulip Fashion Glitter, but then I realized I already had gold glittered letters. Using Fabric Fusion Glue attach your letters to the velvet.

Put your picture into a tacky frame fit for a tackaliscious black velvet painting. Happy Birthday Dolly, only the best for you!


Looking for more fun music related crafts? Check these out....
Musical Mustache Masks
Screen Printed Record Crafts
Rock-n-Roll Home Decor
Cassette Tape Pom Poms

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close