Wednesday, March 17
Canned Creativity Soda Can Frames
Save those soda and energy drink cans from the recycling bin! Turn them into wacky accents for family picture frames with Aleene’s® Original Tacky Glue Sticks.
– Liquid Fusion™ Clear Urethane Glue
– Aleene's® Original Tacky Glue Sticks
– Low-tack masking tape
– Paper towels
– Old jewelry pieces
– Wire cutters
– Cardstock – colors to match
– Permanent felt pen
– Assorted beverage cans
– Clear plastic frames
– Cotton swab
– pattern (click here for pattern)
1. Wash cans then set upside down on paper towel to drain excess water.
2. Use scissors to carefully cut top and bottoms from cans then cut down one side and smooth out for a flat piece of metal. Caution: the cut edges of cans are very sharp.
3. Dry any remaining water if needed, then cut out names or designs from front of cans.
4. Cut out patterns from pattern sheet. Use felt pen to trace design on inside of can, determining color for each. Carefully cut out sections.
5. Bend metal as needed to create flattest surface possible.
6. Measure and cut cardstock to fit inside frame. Use an Original Tacky Glue Stick to add layers of paper and pictures together. Insert into frame.
7. Position metal pieces where desired. Use pushpin to lightly score back of metal pieces and section of frame where they will be placed. Apply a thin layer of glue in back center of each metal piece then use finger to smooth glue close to edges. Press piece in place, then add small pieces of low-tack masking tape to hold in place till dry. Any wet glue can we wiped away with a damp cotton swab. Glue all pieces in place. Let dry over night then carefully remove all tape.
8. Chain frame: Add a thin layer of glue in a circle on front of frame. Starting at center, hold chain up then let end lay in center of glue. Start swirling chain to fill circle. Cut off excess with wire cutters and let dry. Repeat step to create number of circles desired. Cut off any excess parts on back of jewelry piece so it sits flat. Cut several lengths of chain so they can be layered as shown. Glue ends of outside chain to top of frame, holding ends with tape. Glue other two sections in place. Let dry, remove tape then glue jewelry piece in place; hold with tape until dry.