Go wild over hip home décor! Create this colorfully cool pillow with the Wild Thing Tulip® Tie-Dye Fashion Kit™ and toss in any room for a funky fun accent.
- Tulip® Tie-Dye Fashion Kit™
- Tulip® Surface Cover™
- White fabric – 100% cotton – 2½ yards
- Straight pins
- Chalk pencil
- Plastic wrap
- Sewing machine
- Paper towels
- Pillow insert or Polyfill
- Thread – black and white
- Prewash fabric to remove sizing. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets.
- Cut fabric to create one 2-yard section and one ½-yard section.
- Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth. Dampen 2-yard fabric section and lay on prepared surface.
- Wearing gloves from kit, add water to dye bottles. Replace caps tightly. Shake until dye is dissolved.
- Fan fold fabric section, with each fold about 3” wide. Fasten zip ties about 4” apart along length of folded fabric.
- Squeeze Black dye onto fabric in between zip ties.
- On clean part of work surface, lay flat the ½-yard section of dry fabric.
- Place spray nozzle on Turquoise dye. Lay Zebra stencil on top portion of fabric and spray Turquoise dye into stencil. Continue process along top portion of fabric.
- Repeat process with Leopard stencil and Fuchsia dye across entire bottom section of fabric. *Tip: To avoid overspray, lay paper towels around stencils while spraying dye.
- Cover fabric with plastic wrap and let set 6 to 8 hours or longer for most intense color. Thoroughly rinse in running water until excess dye is removed, cutting off zip ties, then wash separately in a large load of water using hottest water suitable for fabric and a small amount of laundry soap. Line dry.
- Once dry lay animal print fabric on a clean surface. Use a chalk pencil and lightly draw a large peace sign on fabric to use as a guideline when cutting.
- Cut out peace sign.
- Lay the black striped fabric flat on work surface and use straight pins to pin peace sign to one side of fabric.
- Sew peace sign to fabric with black thread.
- Cut fabric evenly in half.
- Make sure all four corners are even. Place right sides together and sew three sides together.
- Pull pillow cover right side out and stuff using Polyfill or a pillow insert.
- Stitch remaining side closed
Visit us on Facebook!
Craft on! Click here for today's daily giveaway!