So often these days a photo album is a mere online click, and a frame may simply be the outer edges of a smart phone as you flick through those saved photos. Having just returned from vacation, I was inspired to make something a little less fleeting to display my memories of beach, sand, and snorkeling. And what better material to use to celebrate summer vacation than scraps from that all-time summer favorite: the T-shirt.
-T-shirt scraps (in various colors)
-Circular object (about 2.5" in diameter to use as a cutting template)
-Aleene's Fabric Fusion fabric glue
-Blank picture frame
-Aleene's Tacky Line Runner (double-sided adhesive dispenser)
-Printed vacation photos to fit in the blank picture frame
1. Cut a series of circles from the T-shirt scraps. (I cut about 55 circles in order to cover a 4" x 6" frame.) Cut them all the same color or mix it up to add vibrant highlights to the frame -- I was inspired by the colors of the corals (yellow, salmon, and raspberry hued) that we snorkeled near in Vieques, Puerto Rico.
2. Select one circle, fold it in half, then fold it in half again. Cut a scalloped edge into the open (arced) edge so the piece of folded fabric becomes heart-shaped.
3. Unfold the piece of fabric (it should slightly resemble a four-leaf clover) and squeeze a small amount of fabric glue into the center. Fold it in half, with the edges slightly askew (so the petals don't line up exactly) and pinch.
4. Then apply a small dab of glue along the folded edge and fold it in half again to create a blossom.
5. Pinch the end and separate the petals and let dry. Repeat steps 2-4 for the remaining circles then set the blossoms aside.
6. Apply the double-stick adhesive liberally to the front of the frame. Be careful not to press your fingers into it since the oils will deplete the sticky qualities!
7. One by one, press the blossoms into the adhesive on the frame, angling and overlapping them to cover the frame and create a pleasing pattern.
8. Layer the flowers over the entire frame, and don't hesitate to cut more if you find gaps in the coverage.
9. Now for the hard part! Select a photo to place in the frame.
-Use strips of T-shirt scraps to make into coils to decorate the frame.
-Simply cover the photo frame with T-shirt fabric and then embellish with a small cluster of blossoms.
-Use a cluster of these flower power blossoms to embellish a headband, hair tie, or brooch!
Visit us on Facebook!
Craft on!Click here for today's daily giveaway!