Thursday, February 23

Fabric Scrap Shoes





This is not my first time at the shoe making rodeo. Typically I have made pairs for my children (booties and chucks), but from time to time I whip up a pair for myself (whale slip ons and cameo mary janes). After a recent trip to Nordstrom where I was eyeballing a pair of colorful Toms I had new shoes on the brain. Today over at BlogHer I spotlighted the most adorable pair of Toms made to look like owls and it sealed the deal - I must make myself some new shoes.


SUPPLIES
Plain Shoes (I got mine from Pearl River)
Quilting Yo-Yo's
Fabric Scraps
Fabric Fusion Glue
Paint Brush
Scissors
Water


The first thing I did was raid my stash of fabric scraps. I don't hardly sew a lick, but nothing gets me more excited than coming across a bag of vintage quilting fabric scraps at a flea market. I have used the scraps to make ping pong ball necklaces, bracelets and more. Anywhoo, get your scraps together. The more random the better as far as I am concerned.


Using Liquid Fusion glue I started attaching my scraps to my plain white shoes. I diluted my glue with water and applied it with a paint brush. I would trim, glue and brush as I went. There is no right or wrong way. The more wet the fabric is the easier it is to mold to your shoes.


One tip is to fold the strips over the edges of the shoes to give it a nice finished look.


Rather than covering the straps in scraps I opted for some vintage quilting yo-yo's that I had.


After the shoe is completely covered how you want it allow the shoes to dry completely.


After the shoes are dry they might be a little stiff. A few rounds in the washing machine and some everyday wear should help with that.


I could have spent $40 at the mall, but I like my own custom quilted pair of shoes even better.

Visit us on Facebook!
Craft on!

13 comments:

Margot Potter said...

Cutest...shoes...ever! I'm a nut for yo-yos! Another fab design, Ms. Perkins.

Cheers,
Madge

Zura said...

These are adorable!!! Where did you find the shoes?

Jill Holly et al. said...

Cute! Cute! Cute!

TheSewingLoft said...

Super cute! These are perfect for the dog days of summer!
~Heather

Jennifer Perkins said...

I got the shoes from Pearl River, but the appear to not carry them anymore.

http://www.artfire.com/users/auntiechrisquiltfabric said...

What a great idea.Too cute.I am thinking a inexpensive pair of cloth sneakers would work too?

Bloggers said...

Those are so cute!

Linda Walker said...

I am going to try this! Adorable!
Linda Walker
mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

Eartha Kitsch said...

I love this idea! And I also love your coffee thingie (can't remember the name of it for the life of me) used as a planter.

Isabel Fernandes said...

I love the ideas you described, thanks for the share. Yes when the shoes are dry they might be a little stiff! Read more
there also

khan said...

best shoes for man and women talkshoesupport

khan said...

Mainly cause of this disease when the front bones of the feet are out of place therunningpublicist

Linda Hayes said...

I have used leather paint on old leather shoes to give them new life and have tried gluing fabrics on others that the tops were looking worn-out to add more wear to them. So you don't have to start with new shoes to do this.

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close