Visit us on Facebook!
Spring Fever Magnet Card with Butterfly Necklace Set
Margot Potter for iLoveToCreate
“These are your grandmother’s crafts, ya gotta problem with that?”
In my stacks of vintage craft magazines there are lots of ads for ‘liquid embroidery’ which have intrigued me endlessly. I thought perhaps you could get the same effect with Tulip and Scribbles paints, and you can! Talk about a time saver! The first project is a super easy to make necklace using pre-cut felt shapes embellished with metallic Glam-it-Up studs and connected with jump rings and the second project is a card with a fridge magnet attached. I thought these would make a perfect spring cheer gift for a friend. Yes, this necklace is big and bold, which is totally my style, you can use smaller shapes to make something a little less over the top! Nothing says vintage to me more than felt and these cut felt shapes had my name all over them. You could easily use a die cutting machine to achieve the same effect.
Spring Fever Necklace Set
6 Genevieve Gail Boho Collection for Michaels felt butterflies (4 for necklace and two matching colors for earrings)
54 Tulip Glam-it-Up Iron-On Studs
Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
5 14mm silver tone jump rings
2 10mm silver tone jump rings
Silver tone swivel lobster clasp
2 silver tone ear wires
2 pairs chain nose pliers
Plastic or cardboard for glue
1. Place a blob of glue on plastic or cardboard.
2. Use chain nose pliers to pick up studs, dip into glue and place on butterfly. Gently press down on the crystal to ensure it is adhered. I placed 12 on each butterfly in a coordinating color. See photo for placement.
3. Allow studs to dry completely.
4. Use two pairs of chain nose pliers to open and close your jump rings with tension. Here is a quick video tutorial on how to do this properly.
5. Add the smaller jump rings to the outer wings on the two end butterflies. Add the clasp to the jump ring on one end. Hang your earrings so you have a left and right earring, using larger jump rings connected to ear wires.
White pre-made card
Anna Griffen for K and Company Carmen Collection paper
Felt shapes in vibrant colors (Genevieve Gall Boho Collection) OR die cut your own out of felt sheets (2 butterflies, one cut out flower and one solid flower)
Tulip Slick 3-D Fashion Paint in deep turquoise
Tulip Beads in a Bottle in soft yellow
Scribbles 3-D Paint Pen in kelly green
Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
Aleene’s Tacky Dot Runner
Aleene's Magnetic Tacky Dots
Fiskars paper cutter
Fiskars edge punch daisy
1. Cut patterned paper to fit front of card. Use paper edge punch to create daisy cut outs.
2. Adhere paper to front of card with glue dot runner.
3. Use paints to create dots and faux stitches on edges of felt shapes. Allow to dry!
4. Stack felt shapes and glue together. I glued the edges of the flowers back to back and glued the center of the butterflies together and to the card. The butterflies are slightly askew to show the color beneath. Place something heavy on top and allow to dry overnight.
5. Attach Tacky Glue magnet to back of felt.
6. Attach felt to front of card using glue dots.