Tuesday, December 22
Margot Potter for iLoveToCreate: Pretty Ribbons Fleece Hat and Glove Set
Pretty Ribbons Embellished Fleece Hat and Glove Set
Margot Potter for iLoveToCreate teen
Free Holiday Craft Project
“Mom crafted, kid approved.”
Need a last minute teen friendly gift idea? We’re big fans of fleece around here and you can score the hats and gloves right now on sale. Why not help your teen customize a set with some easy to create ribbon accents? These would make great (and affordable) gifts for their friends. I have a small collection of vintage ribbons and buttons, but you can find similar items at your local sewing store or on the internet. Tulip fashion crystals and Aleene’s Fabric Fusion glue make it a breeze to whip up this lo-sew project.
7/8” wide black satin ribbon with looped edges
7/8” wide vintage or new decorative ribbon
1 large and 2 small vintage or new red buttons
Red sewing thread
8 5mm Tulip crystals
Aleene’s Fabric Fusion glue
Embroidery needle (you’ll need a needle that can easily pass through a thick stack of folded ribbon)
Tulip Glam it up Heat tool
1. There are tons of tutorials on the internet for lovely 3-d ribbon flowers and all of them are so complicated I decided there had to be an easier way. So I just folded ribbon around itself 3 times. Begin by folding the ribbon end into the center of a 2 ¾” section of ribbon. Wrap ribbon three times around itself for the smaller flowers and four times for the larger satin flower. The folded ribbon sections should be 2 3/4” for the smaller flower and 3” for the larger), hold the center firmly, gently tug the ribbon folds into petals on each side (you’ll move the folds on each side in opposite directions). (See photo.)
2. After you’ve created your simple flower, keep holding the layers together at the center and sew a button in the center tacking all of the layers down. Now you’ve got a super cute ribbon flower.
3. For the larger all black flower, add an extra folded section of ribbon to match the ribbon on the gloves. This functions as a petal. Tack it down with a needle and thread.
4. Apply a generous bead of Fabric Fusion glue to the underside of the flower petals and tack them down. Put something under them inside of the glove and hat to prevent them from sticking the opening together. Allow to dry 2-4 hours. Don’t wash until glue has cured for 24 hours.
5. Use the heat tool to apply the crystal accents to the ribbons. I put one on each petal of the decorative ribbon and one on the decorative ribbon leaf on the black satin flower.