Thursday, September 9

A New Addition to my Poppet Family

One of my all time favorite episodes of Craft Lab was the one where I made poppets with Claudine Hellmuth. I walked away with the most adorable family portrait ever. The problem is years later, my family has expanded and I am short a few poppets.

Today for I Love to Create I tried my best to remember everything Claudine taught me and make a Tallulah poppet.

Liquid Fusion Glue
Card Stock Paper
Claudine Hellmuth Studio Sticky Back Canvas
Paint Brush
Tulip Fabric Markers
Tulip Soft Fabric Paint
Photograph of face

The first thing I did was find a picture of Tallulah. I cropped out her head and printed it up at the desired size to match my other dolls. I then taped her head to a piece of paper and drew her an outfit.

Once I was done playing outfit party I scanned the whole thing into the computer. Using Photoshop I cleaned up all the rough edges. I then printed the image out on card stock paper.

I watered down some Tulip Fashion Paint to make it more of a wash and painted my doll body and a piece of Claudine Hellmuth Studio Sticky Back Canvas. Once my paint dried I went in and embellished with polka dots and faux stitches. I wanted to emulate the original Poppets I had from Craft Lab so Tallulah would fit in with the gang.

Next is where I was thankful for the sticky part of the Claudine Hellmuth Canvas. I cut the canvas to the right size to fit the head and body. I removed a small portion of the backing at the top of the canvas to adhere to the card stock body. I also removed a small section of backing along the edges of the canvas body to seal it shut.

On the episode of Craft Lab Claudine and I stitched the sides of our Poppets together. This is more of a decorative stitch since the sticky from the canvas is really holding the seams shut.

My Tallulah doll needed a base to stand on so I traced her canvas dress and cut out a football shaped piece of canvas to 'plug up the hole'.

Were you wondering why I just removed sections of the sticky back rather than all of it? It's because I needed to fill my canvas dress with rice and I didn't want it to stick together. After filling the wee doll with rice all that was left to do was use some Liquid Fusion Glue and cover my base with the football shaped piece of canvas.

Ta-da Tallulah fits right in with the rest of her Poppet family. Next year we will have anther addition to our family, but I decided to wait rather than make a fetus poppet. I'm also short a dog poppet. I hung the poppets with the rest of the family portraits I am collecting and now I smile at them every time I walk down the hall.

Remember if you don't feel like making your own Poppet Family, Claudine will make one for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...