Monday, June 17

DIY Dolce and Gabbana Inspired Shoes

 Ever since I bought these cork wedges a few years ago, I've been planning on adding some painted details to the sides.  Time got away from me, but as soon as I saw the Dolce and Gabbana Sicilian Folk Art Collection for Spring/Summer, I knew I had to get these babies painted up!  Inspired by folk art carved and painted details on antique wagons, the D and G version of these shoes are stunning  Haute Couture artworks  They're also on "sale" for 1600 dollars...which is still light years beyond my budget.  Sigh.

Our house is decorated in what I call Folk Art Chic, with tons of little details like these.  I even have a Folk Art Chic Pinterest board!  I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  Since the shoes were cork, I used Tulip Soft Fabric paints and a little Aleene's Spray Acrylic sealer.  It took under an hour to turn a plain pair of wedges into a fashion statement of my own.  Using stencils for the flowers made quick work of those larger details.  If you look at the originals, you'll see that they're not perfectly perfect, they're meant to look handmade.  That took a lot of pressure off of me when painting, and I've got to say, I think these details turned out even more precise than the originals!  

What you need:
Cork or fabric wedges (try to find some that are solid cork and not just a thin layer wrapped around the wedge)
Tulip Soft Fabric Paint in yellow, red, green, white and turquoise
Aleene's Spray Acrylic Sealer Matte Finish
Tulip Flexible Body Art Stencils in Fantasy
Scissors
Painter's tape
Small detail paint brushes

1.) Tape of bottoms and tops of shoes exposing only the cork.  Use your fingernail to press tape into the grooves and seal.  2.)  Start with the yellow arcs, these go along the top of shoe first, then add white dots using the tip of your paintbrush.  3.)  Fill in the open spaces in your arcs alternating between blue and green paint.  4.)  Paint tops and bottoms of both shoes.  Allow to dry before next step.

5.) Cut large and medium size flowers from stencil.  Place large flower stencil on the center of the largest area on the outside of each shoe.  6.) Use a stipple or stiffer brush to stencil red paint into petals.  Allow to dry to tacky before removing stencil.  Repeat for second shoe.  Use the smaller stencil on the insides of shoe to add a slightly smaller red flower in the center of the largest area as in picture. 7.) Add a yellow dot to the center of each flower with a tiny white accent. You can opt to draw the outline for the vines/leaves on with a pencil if you prefer, then paint the green details.  A finely tipped paintbrush works best.    8.) Remove tape and commence dancing!  Hooray!

That's all there is too it!  I am so seriously smitten with these shoes and I can't wait for an excuse to wear them.  Is grocery shopping out of the question?  Hee.
Did you like the D and G Sicilian Folk Art Spring/Summer collection or was it a little too over the top for your taste?  Do tell!
Visit iLoveToCreate on Facebook and share your creations!
For more fashion and style inspiration, visit me at DIY Doyenne!
Cheers,
Madge

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These look wonderful! I'd like to make a pair- where do you get/ how do you make these flowers you mentioned?

Barker Marine

Men Shoes UK

Kas said...

These are fantastic!!

GeorgeArcher (Yuvastyle) said...

You have made up to the minute sandals. Shall I get the sandals as per my selected designs and size also.

buy red tape shoes online

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close